I have been reading vegetarian, vegan, japanese, macrobiotic, and raw books every now and then and what I read in all of them is this: eat one umeboshi plum a day for good health. So I started looking for these little pickled plums at the asian food markets, whole foods, and other grocery stores on the off chance I could find some. I found 2 kinds at the East Asian Food Market on 9th street, and another type at the asian market on 7th street, but both had msg in their ingredient list. Quite frankly, if I'm going to eat something for health I'd rather it not have msg in it.
"The alkalinity of umeboshi restores balance in the body when it is in an over-acidic state. Their catechin acid stimulates the secretion of saliva and gastric juices, activating the digestive system. The citric acid increases metabolism and assists the absorption of calcium in the intenstine. The pyric acid enhances liver function. In addition, umeboshi act as a sterilizer and antibacterial agent. They contain organic acids that can kill bacteria, so an umeboshi is usually included in Japanese lunchboxes as a garnish on rice to prevent food poisoning." (http://www.moscowfood.coop/)
I finally found some at the new Sunflower Market. I put the little container of them in my basket with great excitement, and then looked at the price tag: $16.99! I had been looking for so long... and there are 24 in a pack making them less than $1 a piece... so I just bought them anyhow.
They are insanely salty and sour and I have to remove the little pit first so it's quicker to chew and swallow, god forbid I taste it for too long!
Just thought I should share the info! Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment