I am reading a GREAT book right now that is like a memoir, natural history, and biology newsletter all wrapped into one. I highly recommend it for anyone who gardens, eats, or cooks. Basically, everyone should read this. Yes! You!


I am trying to be better about what I cook and eat. I'm not saying I'm going to go nuts and eat all local or organic, but if I have two choices of vegetables: one that's in season and from Washington and one that's from Peru and out of season and they cost about the same...I'm going to try to go with the one that used less fuel to get to my plate. In the summer, this will be very easy out here with the farmers market. Trust me, I'm not going to spend 30 bucks to buy grass fed lamb but it can't hurt to know and understand what's going on with food in our country. Especially, if I ever plan on getting serious about cooking.
Last night I made a citrus salad as our first course. It's from an old William's Sonoma cookbook I picked up in the library: grapefruit, blood oranges, regular oranges, a sprinkling of kumquats, mint, red onion, and an orange juice/red wine vinaigrette. It was really good and much easier (I didn't peel them...I sliced the skins off with a knife!) than it looks. Plus, citrus is in season this time of year!

No comments:
Post a Comment