Thursday, March 24, 2011

Best Chocolate Chip Cookies EVER.


Most of you know that I have kindof turned into a health nut in the past year or so. I do not like diets. Period. I also like to eat a lot of whatever it is I am eating. So making foods that are really good for you, and that you can eat as much as you want is my #1 rule. Cookies and cakes obviously don't fall into the category of "eat as much as you want" so I've searched high and low for a cookie recipe that allows me to eat 3 or 4 cookies and not feel awful. This is it.


I found this recipe on someone's blog months ago, and have just rediscovered it in the "Spring Entertaining" magazine by Cooks Illustrated. I'm not sure who copied who, as this is a new magazine but the credit is not mine. However, I tweaked their recipe and this is what I found to be the healthiest and most reasonable. Don't be scared of the first step, it's way easier that you think.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

1.5 cups cold water
1/2 cup diced pitted dried dates
boil this over medium heat until the water has been completely absorbed. Put dates in a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and using a rubber spatula, push the dates through the strainer until you have about 1/2 cup of puree. set aside.

1-2 Tbs. butter
After cooking the dates, brown butter in that saucepan for about 3 minutes...do not overcook and take off the heat once it begins to turn brown. set aside.

1 cup white flour
1 cup spelt flour (or whole wheat)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)- I love hazelnuts in this.
1/2 bar of good chocolate - I like Ghirardelli- chopped with a knife into smallish shards.
combine in a small bowl and stir until thoroughly mixed (important).

1 large egg
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
date puree
browned butter
whisk together very well in a medium bowl.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet in two parts, mixing as little as possible.

If it's too dry you can add a DASH of milk (I like to use vanilla almond milk or soy) or even water.

Do not overmix it!

These cookies don't spread out too much so you can put a lot on one tray to bake. I usually do 1 Tbsp per cookie if I want smaller cookies, and 2 Tbsp per cookie if I want big ones.

Bake for 15-20 minutes.

No comments: